Friday, September 28, 2018

The Stevie Tunic — A Go-To Pattern for Any Fabric!


We are always looking for a simple dress pattern to sew, and the Stevie by Tilly and the Buttons perfectly fits the bill! There is an ease in only having to worry about putting on a single garment, unlike separates which can take more thought and care. You can just slip on a dress at a moment's notice and be on your way. I'm really getting into wearing dresses for work, so the Stevie will suit my lifestyle wonderfully.







Pattern Description: With no darts, zips or set-in sleeves, Stevie is a satisfyingly quick and easy make - yay! Stevie has a modern, boxy fit, with round neckline and kimono sleeves, closing at the back with pretty ties or button loop. Make as a top with cropped hemline that hits the high hip, or above-the-knee dress length, with optional turn-up cuffs and patch pocket. Throw it on with a statement necklace and you're good to go!

Suggested Fabrics: Light to medium weight woven fabrics, such as linen, double gauze, chambray, cotton lawn, viscose (rayon). If you’re a confident stitcher, try a sandwashed silk or crêpe de chine.


Version Made & Fabric Used: We chose to make the tunic length with a button closure in the back out of 100% Rayon Batik. We did not add the pocket.

How I Plan to Wear This: This is a quick dress to throw on at a moment's notice, especially for work! As the weather turns this Fall, I can throw on a sweater and wear some tights. Know that this pattern is a tunic or top length, so depending on your preference (and height), it may be a little short. We will probably make it longer next time, but I can always throw it over a pair of jeans if I feel like it's too short!



Favorite Details: We decided to change the direction of the print on the back yoke. You can see that the dashes on the fabric are horizontal on the yoke and vertical on the rest of the dress. I love simple design details like this that add interest to a subtle print!



Love and Creativity!
Suzan

5 comments:

  1. Nice dress on you! I made a similar dress (different pattern co.) with a zipper in back. On my not so curvy figure it was not flattering until I added darts in front to give it some shape. On my dress there was a seam at center back that gave the back some definition. My point is that a person with my figure (B cup, short-waisted) looks better with a bit of figure skimming fit. This dress you made fits like a nightgown. I love your choice of color and print and enjoy woven clothes of natural fibers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dress flatters you as you are tall and have some curves. My comments are not meant to be taken as negative criticism. My similar dress also needed the fitted shape as it was a stiffer cotton batik and yours is a rayon.

      Delete
    2. Hi Mary Ellen, thanks so much for your comments. They make good sense to me! I agree that it is a loose fitting dress and for that reason, I like wearing it with a belt. On those days where belting is not that comfortable, it's great to just have it hang loose. I do think the back detail with the center seam does give it more shape. When I pick out patterns, we are thinking of what other people would like to see and many women are looking for easy to sew and not super form fitting designs. This one definitely falls into this category...not for everyone, but fun to see made up in the amazing collection of fabrics we have at Stonemountain & Daughter. Thanks for reading along and I look forward to your future comments! Happy Sewing!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever made any dress of African Prints? Are you interested to do so?

    Fabrics USA Inc

    ReplyDelete