Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Let's Get Fancy!

You can tell by my online presence that I am all about fabric.  Granted, I own a fabric store, so I guess that's a given. But even if I didn't, I'd still be in love with fine fabrics - I'd still appreciate the entire spectrum of textile choices that today's fabric sources offer to home sewists. Perhaps that's what keeps me inspired here at Stonemountain & Daughter Fabrics - stocking fabrics that can turn your wardrobes into clothes that matter. 

I'm so proud of my staff for keeping Stonemountain on trend.  They have a feel for what's happening in ready-to-wear and are picking fabrics that our customers are wanting to add to their own wardrobes. One of the big trends in special occasion fabrics this year is embroidered tulle or mesh. It looks daunting for the average home sewist, but in reality, it's pretty easy to work. The variety of prints and patterns is extensive, from subtle pattern and color changes to vibrant floral prints.

If you are like me, you get so inspired to see what others are doing with fabric you love. Check out what Kat Makes made out of our embroidered tulle!
Isn't she lovely! Check out Kat's blog!






If you're going to try one of our embroidered tulles, we suggest making a "toile" (fancy word for a muslin) first.  With any special fabric that you are not used to, making a muslin for fitting purposes will save you from making a costly and ill-fitting mistake.  We might also suggest that you think about buying a quarter of a yard extra so you can practice sewing on your special fabrics as well as making adjusting on your machine to handle their unique qualities.



Laurel's granddaughter got married this summer, so she chose one of our embroidered tulles to make a dress that would be paired with a metallic linen slip dress. Not sure of the styling she wanted, she purchased two different tulles - one for a wearable muslin and one for the wedding. (Okay, not everyone would have done this, but it's Laurel, and she doesn't mess around)

For the wearable muslin (to wear for a fundraiser dinner)



And for the wedding...

Still trying to decide on a pattern...

As with any fabric this sheer, seaming needs to be as narrow as you can make it.  And if you have a serger, so much the better.

Serged seam...
or Sew then serge




trim those darts...

Bonus - four dresses! two metallic linen "slip dresses" and two special occasion dresses
Perfect for a Gala, but Laurel made some adjustments to the length of the bodice for the final version.

Oh, and of course Laurel the GOB (Grandma of the Bride) was lovely.  She also totally remade her daughter's MOB dress (which came in a hideous red instead of burgundy), as well as altering the bride's gown and even whipped out Schoolhouse Tunic Dress for her mom out of one of our Rayon challis prints.  Four Generations of sewing bliss!

Laurel's Mom taught her how to sew at 10, Laurel taught her daughter in her teens...
just got to get that granddaughter on a machine!

In choosing my own fabrics and patterns for my personal Destiny wardrobe, I tend to stick with casual, comfortable and uber-wearable styles that I can wear to work - easy care clothes that don't fight with my body. I have a couple of different wardrobes - one for work, one for vacation, and maybe one for my casual nights out. I don't have a lot of "dress-up" occasions in my life, but that doesn't mean that my personal preferences keep me from appreciating the fine silks, beautiful woolens, and soft velvets that grace the shelves at Stonemountain.

When I do have the occasional need for something "fancy" - perhaps a night in the City or a wedding, or when I want to look casually elegant, I certainly have a lot of choices.

Oh you beautiful silk...


Silk Noil can be dressed up or down...
Velvet is not just for dress-up...


Tried and true Linen is not always casual... metalic linen is "da bomb"!



For your next special occasion, think about coming in to see our embroidered tulle collection or our selection of silk prints or our great wall of velvets. Many of these fabric begged to be touched but are available online as well. If there's something you can't live without, tell us - we are always looking for new fabrics!




Thank you so much for reading.

Peace, Love, and Sewing,
Suzan Steinberg
Fabric Lover
Stonemountain & Daughter Fabrics






6 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog today. I called my husband over to show him the four generations of a seamster’s family and their lovely attire for the wedding. Can’t wait to do a muslin for a jacket and then get some metallic linen to create it with!!
    Loved your store since it first opened!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding and making my day! Doesn't Laurel and her family look wonderful?! So excited that you have been following my blog and it's making a difference in our world. I love hearing that you have been with us since we first opened - been a wonderful 37+ years and we have all grown so much :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the inspiration and motivation to break out of our comfort zones and venture into these beautiful luxury fabrics! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I sure know what you mean! These fabrics just beg to be worn :) Thanks for writing to me and I am glad that you love this post...

      Delete
  3. Very nice blog for fabric.Thanks for inspiration and motivation fabric.Thank you for sharing great information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post and the wedding picture in particular just bowled me over with all its beauty and warmth.

    ReplyDelete