Monday, June 24, 2013

BEST TOP EVER: A Radical Combination


In a recent newsletter and blog post, we highlighted an exciting new fashion trend - mixing woven fabrics with knits.  This combination offers a lot of versatility given the unlimited variety of fabric choices. You can make a dressy garment or keep it casual.


I absolutely adore this wonderful stretch silk charmeuse and chose it for my radical combination.  (Although I got the last of this bolt, there are so many other choices at Stonemountain) I paired it with a soft black knit for the back of Sandra Betzina's sleeveless top - Vogue#1355

Vogue #V1355



Sandra Betzina is one of my favorite designers and one of our instructors.  I love the simplicity of her designs, yet each has stylistic elements that make her looks unique and fashion forward.






My dressmaker Laurel (Laurel's Quill) and I decided that we would cut the front of the top on the bias to give us more layout options so we can play up the print design.  The material has a bit of lycra in it so it has even more give on the bias.  We decided the black areas would look best against my neckline and face.



Sandra's pattern calls for a full lining out of a lightweight fabric such as lingerie knit or stretchy mesh, but because we were combining the charmeuse with a knitted back, Laurel suggested just constructing a facing to keep the top light and flowing.


I love the way it turned out!! I think it's a keeper! What do you think?


For Sandra's coordinating pants, I chose a soft bamboo/rayon with lycra knit.  This fabric is dreamy. The waist band uses the principle of "negative ease" to holds the pants up and has no elastic, so proper fit is important.  Sandra mentions in her pattern notes that her daughters loved these drapey pants as "upscale" yoga pants. What a great idea!


One small snag... my new healthy lifestyle (Whole9 Nutrition) has already yielded a one inch (Yay!!) drop in my waistline.  Sorry Laurel - can we take them in a hair in the waist?  I will have a photo taken of the whole outfit when I get those pants back!  I am super excited to share how the other clothes are turning out... stay tuned!!!

Happy Sewing, Suzan Steinberg

No comments:

Post a Comment